How you can reduce or eliminate your chronic pain.
In his 30 years of clinical experience treating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia Syndrome (CFS/FMS), and in his landmark published research on CFS/FMS (published in the Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), Dr. Teitelbaum has found that his S.H.I.N.E. approach is successful in the vast majority of patients. S.H.I.N.E. identifies five key areas related to the body that, when addressed in combination, provide a blueprint for promoting optimal energy. Tending to these can help you maintain healthy energy levels when you are well, and can help support recovery when dealing with CFS and fibromyalgia.
- SLEEP: Get adequate sleep, preferably eight to nine hours a night. Sleep replenishes the body’s energy and heals its muscles. Inadequate sleep will leave you exhausted and in pain.
- HORMONES: Get tested for hormone deficiency and treated if needed. Hormone deficiencies can contribute to fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.
- IMMUNITY: Get treatment when symptoms of infections occur. The lack of restorative sleep in CFS/FMS leads to dysfunctional immune systems. Underlying viral, bacterial, bowel, sinus and yeast infections are common and can be a contributing cause or result of CFS/FMS.
- NUTRITON: To maintain normal health and optimal energy levels you need to be sure your body is getting a proper balance of nutrition, particularly as nutritional deficiencies can result from CFS/FMS. Vitamin B-12, magnesium, Acetyl L-Carnitine, glutathione, as well as your basic A, B, C and D vitamins are especially vulnerable to depletion from this.
- EXERCISE: Exercise as able. After 10 weeks on the 4 steps above, you will be able to slowly increase your exercise-without being wiped out the next day!
Pain Free 1, 2, 3
Pain Free 1-2-3 demonstrates the critical components for healing tissue: getting optimum nutrition and sleep, correcting hormonal levels, and eliminating the factors that put stress on the body. Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum provides more than 100 treatments combining both natural and prescription approaches to guide you on how to aid the body in healing, locate the source of their pain, and tailor treatments for maximum effect.
“An excellent and powerfully effective part of the standard of practice for treatment of people who suffer from fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndrome.” —The Journal of the American Academy of Pain Management
In his published research study, over 90% of patients improved with treatment, with an average improvement in quality of life of 90%. Pain decreased by over 50% on average. Many patients no longer even qualified for the diagnosis of CFS or fibromyalgia! Interestingly, many of the same principles for treating fibromyalgia also apply to myofascial pain syndrome.
That the vast majority of patients improved significantly in the active group while there was minimal improvement in the placebo group proves two very important things. The first is that these are very treatable diseases. The second is that anyone who now says that these illnesses are not real or are all in your head are clearly both wrong and unscientific.
A new day is dawning in how CFS/fibromyalgia/MPS will be treated. In support of his work, an editorial in the April, 2002 journal of a major multidisciplinary medical society for pain management in United States noted “the comprehensive and aggressive metabolic approach to treatment detailed in the Teitelbaum study are all highly successful approaches and make fibromyalgia a very treatment-responsive disorder. The study by Dr. Teitelbaum et al. and years of clinical experience make this approach an excellent and powerfully effective part of the standard of practice for treatment of people who suffer from fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndrome.”
It is important to recognize that these syndromes can be caused and aggravated by a large number of different triggers. When all these different contributing factors are looked for, and treated effectively, patients improved significantly and often get well!
About Dr. Teitelbaum
Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, is a board certified internist and nationally known expert in the fields of chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, sleep and pain. He is also the Founder of the Practitioners Alliance Network (or PAN) and author of numerous books including The Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Solution (Avery), the best-selling From Fatigued to Fantastic! (Avery Penguin), Pain Free 1-2-3 — A Proven Program for Eliminating Chronic Pain Now (McGraw-Hill), Three Steps to Happiness! Healing Through Joy (Deva Press), the Beat Sugar Addiction NOW! series (Fairwinds Press), Real Cause, Real Cure (Rodale), and the popular free iPhone and Android application “Cures A-Z.” He is the lead author of four studies on effective treatment for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.
Presentation to the American Board of Integrative Holistic Medicine